OCMQG Storybook Quilt Charity Challenge

My quilt guild had a challenge to create a quilt based on a children’s or teen/YA book. Since I went to library school and spent 3 years trying to get a job as a children’s or YA librarian, needless to say, I was super excited about this challenge. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what to make. Some of my personal favorites are: Where the wild things are, runaway bunny, Beatrix Potter stories, Madeline, and the Twilight and Hunger games books. First I searched for fabrics and although I was able to find fabric like “Where the wild things are,” it was out of print and quite expensive to buy on Etsy. I tried to come up with some ideas for Twilight (PNW forests and sparkle fabrics…?) and Hunger Games (lots of arrow fabrics and different fabrics to represent the various districts). It soon became apparent that I needed to just make a decision and get started. And that my ideas were larger than my skillset in quilting…

I found some “Guess How Much I Love You” fabric at Fatquartershop.com. I ordered it intending to make the Patio pattern, which I had bought awhile ago and had never made yet. The pattern didn’t have the size I wanted, so I thought I would wing it. As I was getting started with the pattern, for some reason, I decided to cut the sashing larger than the pattern called for, but I cut the rest of the blocks the same. Well, sure enough, it became apparent that this was not going to work without cutting out new blocks, and I didn’t want to waste the fabric. So I scrapped the Patio pattern idea and since I already had some 4.5″ blocks cut, decided just to make squares surrounded by off-white sashing.

The quilt top came together pretty easily, and so did the back. I had just enough fabric to make a baby quilt. I decided to try and quilt it myself since it would be going to charity, I didn’t want to spend a lot on quilting when I’d already spent so much on fabric, and time. After attending a sew-in with my quilt guild, I got a lot of good feedback on how to straight line quilt it. Unfortunately, I don’t think I pin basted it very well and this caused some puckering. Also, because my blocks didn’t match up perfectly, I often had to sew at an angle from one corner to the next. This resulted in some very wavy lines on the back. I was very disappointed in how the quilting turned out. But at the guild, everyone was very nice and said I did a great job.

My inability to quilt is becoming more bothersome, and more of a hindrance. I would like to quilt my recent paper pieced project, but don’t want to ruin it. I look forward to my quilting workshop in February 2016 at Quiltcon. I hope that I will learn some techniques that will make quilting less daunting.

This was my original idea.
This was my original idea.
Pieces don't match up.
Pieces don’t match up.
Pieces don't match up.
Pieces don’t match up.
Plan B. Simple sashing between blocks.
Plan B. Simple sashing between blocks.
My 2nd time machine quilting!
My 2nd time machine quilting!
Front looks okay.
Front looks okay.
But the blocks didn't match up perfectly....
But the blocks didn’t match up perfectly….
wonky back :(
wonky back 🙁
wonky back :(
wonky back 🙁
The finished product. Not terrible.
The finished product. Not terrible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *